Posted May 17, 2013
What is HAMS? Scroll down to #8
1. SERMON PREP: Pastor Dan Brown will be preaching this Sunday. The sermon title is: Purpose and Promise in Pentecost. The text will be Acts 1:1-8. The read ahead for the following week is 1 Peter 1 and 2. (Pastor Dan Brown)
2. CORNERSTONE CLASS: (Sundays at 8:30 a.m.)
- This Sunday - Dan Brown will continue with the DVD series Dispatches from the Front, Room 112. This series will continue through May 26.
3. YOUTH ANNOUNCEMENTS:
- Life signup - The Life deadline at the current price has been extended. Get your signups in by Wednesday, May 22nd! Don’t forget $100 deposit due May 31.
- Senior High Bible study and fellowship this Sunday evening at the Browns, 5-8pm. Hot dogs will be provided.
- Fundraiser – The youth are still holding a baked goods fundraiser for LIFE 2013 at Kaleo Coffee each Sunday morning. Support their efforts and enjoy a tasty breakfast!
4. IGNITE: Saturday, May 19, meet at the Francks at 6:00 p.m. Prayer starts at 5:30. All college and career aged adults are welcome!
5. MEN’S ANNOUNCEMENTS:
- Bible Study – Friday, 6:30 a.m., Room 117
- Prayer Meeting – Saturday, 7:30 – 8:30 a.m., Library
6. WOMEN’S ANNOUNCEMENTS:
- Women’s Fall Retreat –Join us October 25-27 at the YMCA of the Rockies in Estes Park for a fantastic weekend of teaching, fellowship, worship, and enCOURAGEment! And that’s not all – hiking in the Rocky Mountain National Park or shopping in downtown Estes Park….someone else preparing your meals for an entire weekend….delicious dessert fellowship on Friday night. Pick up a brochure at the Welcome Desk and register. Take courage!
7. VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL: Volunteers are needed for our upcoming VBS on July 22-26. It will be in the evening from 6-8 p.m. This is a fantastic opportunity to both reach our community and our own children with the gospel! Sign up here or at the Welcome Center. Questions? Talk to Dan Brown.
8. HAMS: Each summer the Alliance sponsors the Home Assignment Ministry Seminar (HAMS) for our international workers (IWs). This year it will be held at the Crown Plaza in Colorado Springs. These folks are “at home” for 6 months to a year and most will be heading out to speak at missions conferences across the country in the fall. We anticipate an attendance of about 90 workers from all over the world, and . . . WE’D LIKE TO SHARE THEM WITH YOU!
HAMS will run from July 18th-23rd this year and on July 21st we would like to get these workers into all of the Alliance churches in the Springs—not for speaking engagements but simply to visit your church during a morning service and interact with your people. This is a wonderful opportunity to “put a face on Alliance missions”. We are asking each church to host several of these workers in the following ways:
- Have a host family pick them up at the Marriott Hotel (in Rockrimmon) and take them to your morning service.
- Welcome them and introduce them in the service.
- Provide lunch—this could be in the host family’s home, out to lunch with the family or a church group, a church potluck or picnic
- Have the host family give them a tour through Garden of the Gods (or something similar) and return them back to the Marriott in the afternoon.
More details will be coming at a later date, but I wanted you to begin thinking about how you might be involved in giving our IWs a warm welcome from the Colorado Springs branch of the Alliance family. IGNITER’S – there are some single IW’s that will be in town as well.
Please call or email Ben Fisk to sign up for this wonderful opportunity!
9. KALEO COFFEE – “Filling the City One Cup at a Time”
- NEXT EVENT: 5.24.13 @ 7pm – Facebook and Smart Phones and Twitter – oh my! Technology is part of our lives, we use it everyday. But does it change us? Sherry Turkle, professor at M.I.T. and author of Alone Together, thinks so. Turkle is not a Christian, but her insights on how technology affects individuals and societies are worth discussing. Eric Smith of Summit Ministries will present Turkle’s conclusions and lead a discussion on the impact of technology in our lives. The discussion will be well suited for everyone 13 years old and older. This is a great event for families to attend together, especially families with junior high or older aged kids.
- Almond milk is now being served in the café as a non-dairy option.
- Be aware that coffee service will close promptly at 9:52 a.m. so you won’t be late to the Worship Service.
10. MEXICO TRIP: If you would like to help in the cost of the building materials that are needed for this trip, please mark “Building Materials” on your check.
11. GRADUATION: FRAC’s graduating high school seniors will be honored in our Sunday service THIS WEEK. A reception will immediately follow the service.
12. WALK FOR LIFE: Participate in the 26th annual Walk For Life on Saturday, June 1 at Memorial Park. We encourage families to get pledges from neighbors, co-workers, friends, etc. and walk together. There will be many fun family activities at the park that day. Besides the walk, there is a 5k run and also a kid’s race. If you are unable to participate that day, you can still get pledges and walk another day. Those who can’t walk can sponsor someone who is walking. Stop by the table in the foyer to sign up to support Life Network and work they are doing in our community.
13. FRAC SOFTBALL TEAM GAMES: Saturday, May 18th – 10 and 11 a.m. at Cottonwood Park. Come out and cheer for your team! No games over Memorial Day Weekend.
14. PIANO FOR SALE: Story & Clark piano in excellent condition, oak finish, matching bench seat. Please call Larry and Esther Keeports (719) 260-9043.
15. GARAGE SALE: Mark your calendars for Saturday June 8th for the church-wide garage sale! This is a youth fundraiser so start cleaning out your stuff now. Drop off stuff beginning this Sunday May 19th. Find a youth and they can help you unload into the basement!
16. WHERE CAN YOU SERVE?
- Nursery volunteers are always needed. Please talk to Tiffany Shannon.
- Children’s Church workers are always needed to keep the schedule going without interruption. Please talk to Betty Kirschman.
17. INFO CHANGES: If you change your address, phone number, or email, please update your information in MemberHub.